Powered by Blogger.
RSS
Post Icon

Sporty Chic

Sporty Chic

So, you’ve made it through Halloween without shaming your mother TOO badly with your choice of costume? Brava! Now you’re simply biding your time until it’s socially acceptable to stuff your face full of food at Thanksgiving, and have begun to save for the headache that has become Christmas so you’re not in debt at New Year’s (again). Ah, the holiday season is upon us. BUT ‘tis also the season for (American) football. Sales and ads for the holidays are just as prominent for all things football related from October until well after the new year (which I loathe, but that’s another post altogether). Most women I know fall into one of 3 categories during football season: some women couldn’t care less about football but appreciates the distraction It provides the men in their lives, others are just as into the sport as most guys, and then there are still others who don’t care either way but are dragged along tailgating for a few hours and then made to sit through an entire game (to those sad souls I am truly sorry. There is nothing worse than having to do something you don’t want to and on top of that it takes HOURS of your precious time!) Depending on the game, I fall into the 2nd category : the fierce fan. And before anyone asks, yes, I would physically move and/or scream at anyone who tried to hold a conversation about anything other than the game I’m currently watching. In my defense I would do the same for anything I’m engrossed in: football games, live coverage from fashion week, a Doctor Who episode, etc.

But this post is not about my anger issues as a football fan, but about the fashion. That’s right the football fashion has intrigued me for as long as I can remember and heightened once I was in college and was able to fully appreciate and hate the art that is tailgating. Don’t worry. I’m not about to go on (another) rant about the etiquette of foam fingers, beer hats, mini grills and the like. Instead I wanted to address the actual clothes women wear who go to the games/enjoy watching the games from home. 
Now, you'd think that dressing for game day is easy. Jeans, sneakers, your team's jersey and you're done. But alas we are women and nothing is ever easy and we have to take into consideration more than the guys. Is it cold? Will it rain? Will it get hotter? What is everyone else wearing?  Am I going to be the only girl there? What the heck am I eating once I get there? Do I want to blend in or stand out? etc. Now, guys reading this, you must understand that this goes on every time a woman has to leave her house/entertain. Personally, I think it's because we  think that if we're well-prepared then you'll never have to hear us complaining about not being well prepared. Because I don't care who you are or what kind of woman you think you are, no girl wants to be THAT girl who complains every few minutes but does nothing to alleviate the situation. So I've managed to put together an easy game day outfit that will work if you're watching the game on the big screen at home with a bunch of your friends or if you're rooting for your home team in the stands. So let's get started shall we?

Let's start with the basics: the jeans. For game day you don't want to wear your best skinny jeans that you'd probably save for a night out. So, you want some distressed jeans that show a little wear and tear. The pair shown here are not only distressed but are whiskered. Usually I don't like whiskered jeans because they tend to emphasize every woman's problem area, but if you think you can pull it off, more power to you! These jeans are also cuffed at the bottom. Not gonna lie, not a big fan, but it's a look. That being said, at a whopping $220 these jeans had better have a lot going on! But as I always say "you can totally find these at your local Walmart" & for under 20 bucks on the sales rack, depending on the season. Just make sure that they are dark washed because no matter where you're watching the game from there is a very high probability that something will get spilled in your lap at some point. Next we have the flannel shirt. This year I've gotten really into flannel thanks to my one very tomboyish friend. But in all honesty I've learned that flannel is so easy to wear and comfy that now it will always have a place in my heart (& my spring/fall wardrobe). This one can be found on Etsy for 30 bucks. However, being the bargain hunter that I am,  I went to my local dollar store and got one that looks similar for $8...so whatever your budget allows. Right now the big trend is big shirts. Kinda like the way you look if you put on your boyfriend's over sized t-shirt.So if you just want to wear your flannel as it is, do it. Why not? However, what I usually like to do is roll up the sleeves and sometimes even tie it at my waist to give it a fitted, fun and flirty look. Next up is the $24 H&M deep v-neck sweatshirt. Simple, gray and seeing as mother nature can't seem to make up her mind whether it's summer or fall, at least here in NC, you can't go wrong with an extra layer. Again, $24 for a sweatshirt might be a bit steep. So any relaxed fit, older sweatshirt can still look really good with this outfit.

...And then there's the shoes! What says sporty on a girl more then a pair of Hi-top Converse sneakers?! They're classics! And when in a basic neutral color, these shoes can go with any kind of relaxed, sporty outfit. And let's not forget that with all of the sitting down, standing up, and cheering you're gonna do, they're a comfortable pick. Most places sell converses at a relatively good price, especially if you can find them during the winter (can we say out of season clearance?!) These, however, are $79 and a bit too rich for my blood. Finally, we're going to top off the entire look with a $10 cable knit beanie from Amazon.com. Now I know I've said that I don't like hats because of hat hair, and its still true.... BUT, come on ladies, it's game day! Your hair is the last place anyone is looking. So why not just cover it up and go? I'll bet opting for the hat saves you at least half an hour of getting ready. And if you happen to be watching the game from the bleachers and not inside it provides an extra layer for warmth. And, you know, doesn't hurt that it's cute, will go with practically anything, and it's completely on trend with the hipster style. And that's the entire look. I know what you might say: "But what about the bag? You love bags!" I do love bags and I had to fight with myself not to put a messenger bag in here. But honestly you don't need one. If you're at the game you're tailgating so hopefully, you have a huge SUV of some sort and you're bringing everything in the truck or trucks. Plus, if you're at home or going to a friend's home to watch the game on TV, then your pockets can hold everything you need: your phone, maybe a couple bucks cash for when the wings run out and you have to switch to pizza, your ID, and maybe some lip balm because, you know, chapped lips in the fall are SO not the look!

Other than that I would suggest that you try to wear a smile. Whether you are watching the game voluntarily, or being forced to endure it, you're pretty much stuck for 4+ hours. Don't be the Debbie Downer of the group. Try to get into the game, enjoy the snacks, & heck if you're still not feeling it root for the opposing team. At the very least everyone else will make sure to pay more attention to you than the actual game trying to convince you to switch teams. And thats sure to get you somewhat invested & keep you awake!

Shirts top
etsy.com


H M grey sweater
$24 - hm.com


Frame Denim faded jeans
$220 - oxygenboutique.com



All Star Hi Converse Grey
$79 - kurtgeiger.com

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment